Goodbye Parsley Farms {Family Room}

Where in the world are the Parsleys this week? Well, we have found a sweet house to rent while we are awaiting our new home. We are under contract on a new place and I’ll keep you posted as everything moves forward!

We loved the open floor plan of Parsley Farms. The flow from the kitchen into the family room made it a great place for cooking, eating, family time and entertaining.

img_5268

15770-121st-terrace-kitchen-3

AFTER

As with all the other rooms, we replaced all the electrical outlets, repaired the ceilings and painted and repaired the baseboards, crown molding and walls.

screen-shot-2016-10-24-at-9-54-16-am

img_5267

When the puppy steps in paint…

We removed this desk.

dscn0473

The fireplace was unfinished when we moved in.

dscn0474

My mom and I tackled this project and finished phase 1 in about a week.

When we opened the wall, we found stacks of tile inside!

img_6398

dscn1028

Even though they weren’t my favorite style choice, they were my favorite price–free!

We removed the painted mantle and board framing and cleaned everything out.

 

dscn1031

dscn1036

This was my first time tiling. It was actually much easier than I thought it would be.

We measured and planned and (MOM) cut, then used these spacers to hold everything in place.

dscn1039

dscn1042

dscn1044

The grout was premixed and we simply smeared it into all the seams, smoothed it and used a sponge to clean off any extra.

dscn1045

We used lots of molding and caulk to smooth out all of the crazy, peeling drywall.

dscn1034

dscn1030

dscn1048

We also used some trim to finish off the tiling.

img_6404

img_6400

We had some great helpers!

For the mantle, I really wanted to use an old railroad tie but found that those aren’t the safest materials for inside. After a few days of looking, I came up with the idea to build one ourselves. With mom’s help (OF COURSE!), we built one. I stained and distressed pine boards and mom built a box with them.

dscn1051

dscn1052

dscn1055

dscn1054

dscn1075

I love how it turned out!

I used some old closet door shutters to hide the hole that was still there. This was how it looked for about a year.

screen-shot-2016-10-24-at-9-47-35-am

At the final stage, we chose some wood-looking linoleum to make a faux-fire box. It was purely decorative, but looked exactly how we wanted.

We added a light fixture, some comfy furniture and the room was finished!

15770-121st-terrace-family-room

AFTER

 

 

 

AFTER pictures credit

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s